Real-time torque monitoring and feedback provide peace of mind to operators in wastewater treatment and power generation industries
Waunakee, WI , 2019-07-08
NORD Gear Corporation, a world leader in drive technology solutions, announces the availability of TORQUEPROTECT™, a gearbox torque monitoring system designed for wastewater treatment facilities, power generation plants and other industries that require extreme low-speed, high-torque drives.
The NORD TORQUEPROTECT system provides real-time load monitoring and continuous feedback to give operators complete visibility and control over the entire torque performance process. Unlike traditional spring load monitoring systems that can only provide readings at specified maximum load ratings, TORQUEPROTECT delivers continuous feedback, which allows users to know when loads are trending higher or lower than expected and take corrective action as needed.
Torque monitoring is especially critical for wastewater clarifier applications where even small strains in the load cell can create big problems. A clarifier is designed for continuous operation and if the system becomes overloaded for any reason, a million-dollar clarifier may be shut down for several days or weeks. There’s also the risk of incurring significant costs associated with repairing or replacing expensive industrial gearboxes that may become damaged without accurate torque monitoring.
“As a leader in gear reducers for water treatment industries, we understand the importance of providing this feature to our customers operating in such complex environments,” said Tom Koren, director of engineering at NORD. “From lowering maintenance costs and prolonging the life of equipment to ensuring greater stability and uptime, the TORQUEPROTECT system provides financial and operational peace of mind for these high-stakes applications.”
NORD TORQUEPROTECT features
Available in two configurations, the NORD TORQUEPROTECT monitoring system includes:
• A NORD gearbox
• NEMA 4X stainless steel control panel using Avery Weigh-Tronix scale head with proprietary NORD firmware
• An IP67 sealed stainless steel load cell to continuously monitor torque
• A digital display, which provides continuous torque monitoring feedback displayed as a percentage of maximum acceptable load – as defined by the customer
• Three user-adjusted relay set points and corresponding indicator lights on front panel, plus a fourth indicator light to ensure system is fully functioning, wiring is correct and load cell is active
• Compatibility with user-supplied devices, such as stack lights, buzzers and warning beacons.
• A 4-20mA analog output module that allows remote monitoring (Available with the Advanced TORQUEPROTECT package)
Any disruption to a wastewater treatment system can have serious economic and public health consequences, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Wastewater in the United States is primarily treated by Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTWs) and by private facilities, such as industrial plants. The EPA estimates 16,255 POTWs provide wastewater collection, treatment and disposal service to roughly 75 percent of the U.S. population, treating 32 billion gallons of wastewater each day,
TORQUEPROTECT is currently available only in the United States. Download the brochure